Donations to assist with Liz's Medical Bills

Monday, March 29, 2010

Blessings

This weekend I went away to play with friends doing wire worked jewelry. It was a blast. While away we talked about Elizabeth and her situation. Elizabeth had told me..."NO, sniffles. No colds." No illness or a person can't be with her. So our hostess' hubby left for the weekend, so as not to expose me to his cold. I was touched by their sensitivity. It turns out that Vicki, my hostess, has a niece that has had her lungs transplanted. She is only 34. She also can't be exposed to Tom's cold. I think to myself, that a lot of families have health issues that are not evident by looking. Amy (the niece) looked normal. She must be very careful of germs, just like Elizabeth. It was strange, yet similar, to have these same issues. Having to be mindful of cleanliness is a good thing that we often over look.

Now when I know I'll see Elizabeth I am very mindful of my physical wellness, my hands' cleanliness, and just an over all sense of things that might bring danger or harm to Lizzy. I think we, who are well, forget just how great our body's immune system is. We take for granted that we can grab something that is in the public realm and not think twice about the germs left by the previous person using the item. We are truly remarkable beings.

I am ever so mindful of how much I love Elizabeth and want to keep her safe. So I keep hand sanitizer handy and a prayer on my lips. She's off to treatment this morning in Tacoma and then to Seattle. Karyn and she are even planning to do a "fun thing" up in Seattle. Go to a movie... they can tell you about it.

And so another week begins. Not many radiations left. One more week after this one, I think. Yippee.

Kathryn Cecelia "KaCe" Whitacre, Elizabeth's Mom

1 comment:

  1. What a great reminder, it's important to remember that the littlest germ will affect those we love much differently as their immune systems are down. My mom has the exact same brain tumor as Elizabeth. (They were the ones who showed me this blog.) But she is just starting her second year of treatment after it being diagnosed and is being treated in Rochester MN. We are from North Dakota. (I have a link to my email in my profile here if you want to contact me.)

    Both my oldest daughter and I have a cold which I hope will be better so I can go visit towards the end of the week.

    But with the holidays coming up I can't help but wonder how many families won't be together this Easter because the fear of passing along an unknown germ..........

    ReplyDelete